Amsterdam is the Netherlands’ capital, known for its artistic heritage, elaborate canal system and narrow houses. Haarlem is a city outside of Amsterdam in the northwest Netherlands and I chose to visit because I had previously been to Amsterdam when I was much younger. Keukenhof on the other hand is known as the Garden of Europe, is one of the world’s largest flower gardens and I finally managed to go! Here are my recommendations:
- Tour Amsterdam! Take a canal cruise to take in all of the city, visit Anne Frank museum (crazy queues), the red light secrets museum and wonder around the famous red light district at night if your comfortable about it.
- Take a day trip to Zaanse Schans Windmill Village, a boat trip from Marken where you get to see clog markers to then get to Volendam fishing village and taste cheese Volendam cheese factory.
- Check out Haarlem city. It is tiny but just a beautiful as Amsterdam and is a lot cheaper for accomodation.
- Tick off Keukenhof from your bucket-list and take in all different flowers and arrangements
- Have plenty of chips and mayo. Amsterdam and Belgium is the best for chips and mayo in my opinion!